Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A venting blog from a domestic engineer

OK....here are a few thoughts about being a domestic engineer. Yesterday, Adrian came home from his fishing trip in Florida. I was eagerly waiting for him so he could help Jolie with her big project which counts for 30% of her grade in history. It had to do with the interview with my 90 year old grandmother. We did the video recorded interview last Sunday...we couldn't have done it any earlier because my dad (her son) had just passed away. So, don't be thinking we procrastinated! (heaven forbid the Cutchshaws ever do that!)

Any way...since I am not very technologically advanced, Jolie had to wait for her dad to return from his trip to figure out how to get the video on the computer so she could edit with a program called Movie Maker.

Ok, so my house is a bit unorganized. Try as I might, it's just the way it is. So, I could not find the little adapter USB thingie for the camcorder. After tearing apart the house, I decided to go to Walmart after the children had their supper and baths. As soon as Adrian came home and I got a lecture for losing the dumb cable USB thingie, I darted off! The closest Walmart is 20 miles away, mind you.

After searching and searching the store's electronics department, I learned that they don't carry that particular size. And being the smart lady I am, I actually took the camcorder to make sure I was looking for the correct size.

I put the camcorder back in my purse. I bought some rice krispie treats for Fischer who is allergic to wheat, eggs and nuts, which means rice krispie treats are about the only fun little packaged snack I can put in his lunch box. I went through the self check out and as I walked through the door, an employee stopped me! I had been followed through the store! They thought I stole a camcorder because they saw me put mine in my purse!

It was getting late. It was almost 9:00 pm and I was exhausted. And I knew I was going to have to come home, put the children to bed....5 rounds of singing and stories....and then I'd have to stay up and figure out how to make this video recording for this huge project and save my daughter from summer school for getting a big fat ZERO for not turning in a project that counts for 30% of her final grade!!!

I volunteered to show my camcorder and I even played part of Mema's interview on the play back so they could see! I was cleared and free to go with a smile and a quick apology! As I headed out, I saw the police car in front that they had probably called for me. I smiled and waved at him.

I finally got home at 9:30 and as I pull into my driveway, there is a whole neighborhood kick ball game going on in my front yard and my clean little babies are playing outside with no shoes on!

Let's just say it took a while for me to get everyone settled back down for bed.

Around 10:30, I finally had a chance to plug in the camcorder to the good ole fashioned VCR. I figured it was our only choice and would have to do since we obviously couldn't do a digital copy on the computer. You would think that would have been easy......

Jolie was asleep....dreaming sweet little dreams, while I was cussin' and punching the TV as I tried for 3 freaking hours to make a recording!! Nothing worked. Finally, Adrian came to help and even he couldn't do it. We felt pretty stupid. We unplugged the VCR and tried it on another TV. With all the wires for stereo, surround sound, satellite, DVD....it's confusing! We were tangled up in wires like two red necks trimming a Christmas tree!

At that point, I decided to tear apart the house one more time to find that USB connection. I started clearing out my closet. I went through everything, everywhere. My poor house is left in shambles now. It looks like we've been robbed.

Well....around 2:30 am, Adrian finally figured out the VCR and he made the recording! My hero!

This morning, after no sleep, I woke up the children for school at 6:00 am. I told Jolie the wonderful news that her project had been saved and that Daddy had figured out the VCR! And you know what she said??

"VCR? My school probably doesn't even have a VCR! How embarrassing not to have a DVD!"

Don't worry...I restrained myself from any violence. I do not believe in abuse...even spanking.

My point is this....what ever sacrifices we parents make for our children....we cannot expect ANY appreciation for them. Weather it's spending $5,000.00 for braces just so they can have a perfect smile and not scare away any future employees when going for job interviews with bucked teeth....or any future mates, for that matter....they don't really care that you spent that money on their orthodonture all the while driving a run down car since you could never afford a new car payment! And nutritionally.....you can bend over backwards trying to save them from diseases, always trying to provide them with organic, fresh, vitamin filled, fruits and vegetables knowing that they are just going to turn their noses up at it and ask you to go through a drive- thru somewhere. And they think you are so mean for saying "No!" And they think you are mean for making them go through all the pain and suffering of getting braces tightened! And they think you are so dorky to put anything on VHS since that is so 1990!

Oh, well....at least I saved myself from having to drive Jolie to summer school and from having to cancel any vacation plans. I am selfish that way, ya know?

No comments: