Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Clock, a Coffee Pot, and a Field of Lilies





























Can't believe it, but my book is finally finished. After a year of writing and rewriting, giving up and pressing forward, wanting to burn it, and wanting to embrace it, it is ready to go out into the world. The books will be here at the end of April.
Here's what the back of the book says:
A Clock, a Coffee Pot and a Field of Lilies will take you on a journey, painted by the tears of a grieving daughter of an alcoholic and drug addict. Abigail begins her story the week before her father passed away after a courageous battle with cancer.
“There he was, a soft, glowing Buddha Man… I wanted to know his secrets to Zen. I told him he was enlightened and he should write a book.” It was then Abigail told her father that everything she needs to know in life, she learned from him. Her father simply replied, “Everything I needed to know in life, I learned in A.A.”
Dr. J. Michael Hosford was a beloved pediatrician in a close- knit town in North Georgia and was affectionately known as “Dr. Mike.” He spent the last 24 years of his life learning a better way to live, by practicing the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book tells the story of how he found hope and devoted his life to passing it on and working for the greater good. It is a spiritual journey that will have you crying one minute and laughing the next.
****If anyone wants a copy, send me your address to: asklulabelle@windstream.net and I will be glad to send you an order form. The books will be available to the public the first week in June, but I will be pre-selling it to friends and family and anyone who wants one at the end of April. Proceeds will go to the J. Michael Hosford Foundation. I will tell you more about that later!****
Love to everyone! xoxox
P.S. Save the date June 9, 2009. At 7:30 pm in the First Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall in Gainesville, we are going to launch the J. Michael Hosford Foundation with a dessert reception and book reading/ signing. It will be our joy to have you there!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Hey Abbi. Loved seeing you and all of your precious family at Hosford's party. Wish we had longer to talk - I feel like it is always so short. And of course I want a copy of the book. Just let me know who to send the check to.
Lots of love,
Megan

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read it! You are such a gifted writer!

Love you!

Sherri

Anonymous said...

Abs...
You are a gifted writer, and I can't wait to read more. xoxox, Leslie

Maddoxhouse said...

Dear Abbi;

I read your book "A Clock, A Coffee and Field of Lilies" last night after returning home from Relay for Life. Anxious to read about the man, the doctor who loved my children and made me so very sad when he died last year. What was it about this man - was it that he loved my children so much,reminded me of my own father as he battled cancer? I cried, thanked God for his life, for your honesty and talent to pen your feelings about death and God. I miss Mike Hosford - I remember the first time Luke was sick only months after your dad died and I turned to my husband and said "Oh, how I wish Dr. Hosford was alive as he would be here and tell us what to do - it feels empty without him." The man we had grown to love - our whole family. Our doctor, our friend who took time to write me a note when my dad died while he was battling his own cancer treatments. Thank you Abi for writing that book, your words made me smile, laugh, cry and we share a common bond, 2 sisters, loving God, loving a man, a dad, who loved his family and lost his vibrant life to cancer. Even though you say you don't want to be on a prayer call - I pray for your mom, your sisters and family in the days ahead. So many ways I was touched by your book , I’ll write you a note later. Love, Tina

Tal Sexton said...

Dr. Hosford was a great man. He was my pediatrician. He was also my children's pediatrician. When I was in college, he helped me with a sociology paper on the stages of recovery for an alcoholic. His joyful and excitied spirit was infectous. You couldn't feel bad when you were around him, even if you were sick! I look forward to reading your book.
Tal Sexton
Greenville, SC

Unknown said...

I just heard about the book today so I googled it. We loved your daddy so much! His word was gold for us. If your mom still has a little pillow on the Christmas tree that says Angels live here, it is from us. Our second child turned blue a few times on us as infant and your dad was on the phone with me at who knows what time of night. When the same child was in the hospital with Stevens Johnson syndrome, at near death, he was in Miami. One of you was having a baby. He miraculously walked in the hospital room and I felt like Jesus himself had walked in the room. When he was there, we knew that everything would be ok. Our family misses him and speaks of him often. I can't wait to get a copy of the book. How do I do that?

M'ryanne M. Peacock
mryannepeacock@yahoo.com