Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Autism part 2


We finally got our appointment with the developmental pediatrician. It was today. Nicholas was evaluated by a wonderful doctor named Dr. Rubin. Of course I was prepared to hear the news, but the diagnoses fell upon me like a bomb. It still hasn't even begun to sink in fully. Nicholas is autistic.


Did you know that 1 in 94 boys will be diagnosed with autism this year? That's a lot! Autism is a spectrum and autism ranges from totally non verbal (Classic Autism) to highly functioning (Asbergers Syndrome.) Nicholas falls right in the middle of the spectrum with PDD-NOS Autism. It means he is limited verbally and socially but with proper intervention, he can be functioning. The doctor told us to investigate early intervention ASAP and get the ball rolling now. He suggested things like therapeutic horseback riding, swimming lessons, more intensive speech therapy, and ABA therapy which is behavior therapy. Nicholas is already exhibiting some very quirky behaviors such as ultra focusing and OCD stuff. He repeats a lot of actions, twirls, flaps, spins the wheel of a match box car for hours and stares at it. This ABA therapy will help him come out of that isolated world he can go into and bring him back into the real world.


With proper interventions, Nicholas will learn to be sympathetic and learn to engage with others. He will never outgrow autism, but he can become highly functioning if he gets proper help beginning at this young, impressionable age.


My biggest fear is that he will lock himself in his own world and not let me in. I will do whatever I can to make sure that doesn't happen. He is lucky to have four big siblings who understand him and adore him and two parents who would do anything to help him and who love him so much. Not only that, he is surrounded by a huge loving extended family. He really is a lucky little guy.


Now we are empowered with this knowledge. I keep telling myself he's the same boy he was yesterday. Now we just simply know more about it. Now we can do something about it.
The doctor also ordered some tests to check for chromosomal defects such as fragile X and some others I am not familiar with. We go back to see Dr. Rubin in four months. We will know even more then. My goals for this week are to find a horse back riding program for children with special needs and the doctor also suggested Nicholas go to a summer day camp for autistic children and for Adrian and I to go to a support group. I will be calling the White County Special Ed to see what resources they can offer. I just know they will love hearing from me! (If you don't know why...ask me about the battle we have been fighting for Sydney who has learning disabilities...)
If you want to see something interesting, scroll down after you read this and look at the picture of Nicholas on the airplane at the park and then look at the picture on the right hand side of him smiling at the camera wearing a green shirt. It's strange, but he was two years old on the right and on the left is a picture taken a whole year later when he is three. He is not the same little boy. And he hasn't grown at all.
Oh, what a heavy feeling I have in my heart. It's just not easy raising five children. Throw in a few serious challenges and it makes it almost too tough to handle. But we will handle it..one day at a time.

4 comments:

Opp Family said...

I can't imagine how devastating the news must have been, even if you already told your mind, your heart still wasn't ready.

Your family is in my prayers.

Melissa said...

Bless your heart. Kim told me that she had seen the news on your facebook so I came here to get the details. Abi, if any parents can handle this, you and Adrian can. You are both amazing parents with so much love and determination to do what is best for your family. Also, knowing what needs to be done early on will, I believe, be empowering.
You'll be in our prayers.

The Ashment Family said...

Hang in there! You're such an awesome Mom so I know that he will be in the best of hands!

The Thomases said...

Oh Abi and Adrian,

Our hearts ache that you have to face this huge challenge. You'll have so much work to do, but I'm thankful you are beginning early and we know you will be doing everything you possibly can. (and probably some things that seem impossible)

Much love from Sherry, Will and Emily