Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mollie


Mollie is the fourth child out of five in this family. She is five years old and just finished kindergarten. She has a way with words and she cracks me up daily. We often comment on "Mollie-isms" but we have to be careful not to encourage her to be funny on purpose. She's just funny when she's being herself not thinking about it. Here are just a few highlights this week.

Fischer: Mollie, do you like Hannah Montana?

Mollie: Well, yes, but you wouldn't understand.

Fischer: Wouldn't understand what?

Mollie: I know you are going to say she is doing bad stuff but just because she's sexy doesn't mean she's not good. Any ways, I like being sexy. It's pretty. And she sings good too.

Fischer: Well, you know she dances on a stripper pole.

Mollie: What's a stripper pole?

Fischer: I am not sure, but I think it's bad.

Mollie: Mom, what's a stripper pole?

Me: Um, well, I think it's just a pole and some dancers swing around it and they take their clothes off.

Fischer: (laughs)

Mollie: Well, I wouldn't do THAT!! That is silly! 'Cause if you are swinging around a pole you could get really hurt. You might fall and then you couldn't be a good singer if you fall down and you'd be all like, 'Ahhh, I am so hurt!' "

**************************************************
Yesterday, Mollie said her bedtime prayer in a British accent. I asked her afterwards if she thought that was reverent or not and she said (still in the British accent), "Of course it is! Don't be silly."

And I said, "I am not being silly. Talking to God is really sweet and He looks forward to hearing from you every day. He may not understand what you are saying with that accent. I think you should try again and be sincere this time, please."

So, she closed her eyes and was quiet for a minute. Then, she opened them and said, "I hope it is OK with you that I said a silent prayer that time."

"That's fine, honey. Sometimes those are the best ones."

"So, do you think God liked it?"

"I know He did!"

Then she started giggling as I was walking out the door.

I paused outside the room and I heard her say, "Nicholas, she doesn't know I can talk in a British accent in my own head!"

Goodnight, Mollie.

****************************************************

Mollie woke up this morning and still had the British accent. She came upstairs and asked me, "What is for breakfast, Mother Darling, and can I please have an English Muffin?"

I asked her what the accent was all about and she said she was practicing for when she grows up. So, I asked her what she wants to do when she grows up.

"Well, Mother Darling, (as she sips her orange juice with her pinkie up) I would like to be a ballerina, which you already know, but I just found out yesterday I would like to be in the Army too."

"The Army? Really?"

"Oh, yes, Mother Dear. Yesterday Fischer told me girls can be in the Army and they have a cafeteria there with an ice cream machine and then Daddy told me you can get as much ice cream as you want. So, I am going to go there AND be a ballerina at the same time."

"That makes sense."

*****************************************************
Ohhh, I wish they could stay five years old for longer than one year. It is almost a shame they have to grow up and become people.
P.S. I removed the story about finding hope. I was only leaving it here temporarily for several reasons. Thank you for all the love which has been showering over me this week. I am such a lucky woman!

No comments: