Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Beach Trip 2010

During our recent trip to Fripp Island, I didn't have any urges to jump out of a moving vehicle or get divorced, so, that must mean this trip was better than the trip we went on to St. Simons.

You see, when we had our car accident back in September, our portable DVD players got broken. I decided not to replace them having the mindset of one of those wonderful mothers who don't have television and help their children grow creatively. And having the mindset that my children are extraordinary children, they know how to behave in the minivan even during long journeys.

"Honey, do you want to replace the DVD player before our trip?" Adrian asked.

"Oh, heavens no, sweetie! We'll play 20 questions and I know like over 500 folk songs we can sing. Don't you worry, we'll pass the time doing math fact quizzes, the alphabet game and I'll even tell some of my famous funny stories!" I explained.

"Ok, whatever you say." Adrian noted.

"Don't worry, everything will be just fine." I assured him.

Well, scroll down to the Spring Break post and you can read all about that infamous road trip if you must. Or you can take my word for it that traveling with 7 people for 8 hours is utterly and completely hell. It is like getting a root canal because the little high pitched squeals they let out when their sister is touching them actually shoots nerve pain right up to your freakin' brain!

Well, as we were preparing for our next journey, Adrian came up to me as I was sorting through every one's belongings, (ie sniffing clothes to find out if they were too dirty to pack, cause let's face it, I do too much laundry as it is and suffer from carpal tunnel from pushing the start button 5 times a day) he gave me a hug, looked into my eyes and said,

"Baby doll, it is almost your birthday and I know you know 500 folk songs, but I would like to be friends with you this trip and I don't want to be dropping you off at a mental institution on the way there, and I think you are getting PMS, so I believe with my whole heart that we NEED a portable DVD player. Can we get one? Please?"

"Heck yes!"

So, we went to Wally World and spent $165.00 which practically pays for itself if you figure in the cost of sedating everyone for 7 hours there and 7 hours back.

This time, I also bribed with candy. We ate lots of candy on the way there. I discovered coconut M&Ms and I had an epiphany while I ate them.

Once we got to the beach house, we were greeted by my sisters and my brothers-in-law, my Mama, and my niece and nephew, AND we were reunited with our teenagers, Jolie and Sydney who had gone to Fripp the week before with my mother and were eagerly awaiting us to join them (not.) It was a sweet family reunion and I was so happy to be able to hug all my loved ones at the same time. And even though it made us all miss Boompa even more than usual, which is a whole bunch, being with everyone at this special place made me feel like he was enjoying it too. He would be happy we were at Fripp-his favorite place. And I think he would be happy we were all brave enough to go knowing our hearts would break missing him. I did little things for him in case he was watching. I rode some waves. I played in the sand without freaking out, throwing my sensory issues to the wind. We told lots of Boompa stories to the kids so they will always know how funny he was and how amazing he was.

The next morning, Adrian, Fischer, Madison, Jack, and Jennifer left bright and early to get on a chartered boat to go on a deep sea fishing adventure! Fischer caught a barracuda bigger than him! He also caught shark and lots of bait fish. In fact, he caught the black bass which he then used as bait for the barracuda. The other fishermen caught things too but they mostly let Fischer have the experience of a life time. Anyone who knows our little 9 year old knows what a fisherman he is. He didn't even get sea sick even though the boat ride was apparently choppy.

We celebrated my birthday and I am happy to be 36. I know you shouldn't trust a woman who tells her age, but I just feel like so much is behind me and so much is still ahead of me now. 36 is a pretty darn good age to be. I have grey hairs and the body of a woman who has had five kids and not like the freaky women who have had five kids and still look like they did in high school. I have reached the point in my life where I accept myself. I can look in the mirror and say, I am what I am and it's lovely enough for me.

We ate a lot of delicious food. We all took turns cooking and everyone showed off their skills. We ate some Spanish Mackerel which was caught by Uncle Madison, some shark caught by Fischer, and some crabs caught by Uncle Jack and Sydney. We ate Frogmore Stew (which doesn't involve cooking actual frogs if anyone reading this just gagged.) We ate enchiladas, mama's world famous (at least it should be) lasagna, and so much more. We even bought the cool cereal variety pack! I'm tellin' you, this was totally awesome. I remember my mother buying the variety pack when we were little and went to Fripp Island! All those cute little boxes filled with sugary sweetness! And if you put it in a bowl with milk, it can still be considered (by some) (me) a healthy breakfast.

We rode bikes, swam, jumped waves, caught sand dollars, found shells, played, read, relaxed, kayaked, observed various wildlife including a scary up close a personal experience with a raccoon, and much, much more.

The trip back home was just as awesome as the one there. All the kids were glued to the DVD player and their mouths were plugged with lollipops and sugar. Adrian and I got to talk the entire way, and by that I mean, having real conversations like normal grown ups get to have. Sometimes we didn't talk at all because sometimes we don't know what to say when we aren't interrupted every five seconds. I may not be a granola mother earth who protects her children from the influences of movies and sugar, but I am sane. And that's all I got to say for now. Peace! (scroll down for pictures)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love reading your pieces!! I smile and even laugh out loud!! Thanks for sharing your awesome life that we all relate to!! My family too loves the little variety boxes of sugar on vacation!! Memories they too will have as we do!! Can't wait to get your book, that will be my read for my beach trip next week!! Tina