Saturday, August 9, 2008

First Day of School


Jolie (in yellow shirt) started 9th grade. It was really surreal watching her get on the bus, heading off to her first day of high school. As I wished her good luck, I started boo hooing. It was more emotional than watching her walk down the hall on her first day of kindergarten. Where did the time go between then and now?

Sydney began 6th grade and she realized just how tall she grew over the summer when she saw all her friends. She really sprouted-up! She is a couple inches taller than Jolie and has surpassed Jolie in the shoe department by three sizes. Sydney is excited to be back in school but only for social reasons. 6th grade used to be in the middle school, but this year, they put 6th grade into the elementary schools. I am so thankful for that because I really love our elementary school and especially our principal.

Fischer began 2nd grade and is very excited that his two best friends from way back in the days of preschool are in his class, Jude and Bess. Fischer has always claimed to hate school. I was surprised when he came home Thursday and Friday saying that he LOVES school. I am not sure if it's because of Jude and Bess or not, but it could be. Fischer is a huge Beatles fan and he has been playing "Hey, Jude" on repeat over and over on the CD player.




Mollie returned to Resurrection Episcopal Preschool this year. Mollie's 4th birthday is Wednesday. She really grew up a lot over the summer. She's such a big girl. Fischer not only gave her speech therapy which actually worked, he is also teaching her how to read. Fischer's former speech teacher would be so pleased. After Fischer graduated from speech last year, he became the teacher's helper and worked with a child with special needs. Peer support is a wonderful tool. Mollie likes her teacher, Mrs. Hart and is glad to have a couple of her friends from last year in her class.

This week has been weird for me with a streak of bad luck. It involved a broken tooth with exposed nerve, moving Adrian's mother to a new apartment, unpacking boxes, a root canal, an accidentally broken sinus membrane, a blood clot in my sinus cavity, a muscle in my foot which tore away from the bone, a clogged milk duct, an allergic reaction to antibiotics, and for the grand finale, my brakes went out after I picked up Mollie from school! Here's a picture of Nicholas at the car repair shop where we waited for 2 hours before Adrian could pick us up. When he started to leave to come get us, HIS car wouldn't start!

My mother was out of town and it's freaky how things like this happen whenever she's not close by. I could have used an extra set of hands this week and it made me miss her. I also missed Daddy a whole bunch as I am not used to having to solve my own health problems such as calling doctors and then waiting to be seen.


The cool thing is that around every corner of my disasters (believe me, what I have shared with you is an edited, G rated version of my week,) there was unexpected kindness from friends and strangers. There was a doctor who didn't charge me for x rays. My sweet (and hot) husband, was an extra good listener this week and helped all that he could. There was bag boy at the grocery store who offered to push my mother-in-law in a wheel chair so I could push Nicholas in the baby stroller. Even the two funny older gentlemen at the car place who entertained Nicholas and Mollie while we waited made me feel loved. My heart is full of gratitude. But I am hopeful next week won't be nearly as eventful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I somehow missed this post but when you said something about your bad week I came back to check what was going on and I have to smile because--well, you always make me smile and because we have so much in common!! We seem to have the same good weeks and bad weeks and we seem to think so much alike we could be sisters! I love you, I'm thankful you're my friend. I'm sorry you had a bad week! Let me just sprinkle some of my good week dust over us---okay, now where set!