Friday, September 2, 2011

Autism part 9

The day finally arrived!  Nicholas had his first day of kindergarten a few weeks ago!  This is a huge step and I must admit I was worried to death for the week prior to school beginning and I was a nervous wreck the first day.  Nicholas is riding the little bus home and I was nearly crying waiting for it that first day.  This is my baby, y'all.  He's the last one to leave the nest and go to big school.

He is five and a half  and still only 27 pounds.  He is wearing clothes and shoes from two years ago and is still not potty trained.  That was a bummer.  We worked very hard on potty training at Challenged Child and Friends and over the summer.  I really thought he was "getting it" but he's not quite there yet.  I am really hoping he will be wearing underwear to school by first grade.

But wow, what leaps and bounds he has made in other areas of learning.  This boy is smart.  I am telling you, there is a genius locked away in there.  Nicholas has a beautiful memory.  He remembers everything and it is cool to see some random memory emerge at unexpected times and in unexpected ways.  He remembers all the sounds letters make.  He can read basic sight words.  And he can fix mechanical things.  He's pretty amazing.

Nicholas is handling transitions much, much better.  He seems so mature walking into the school each morning.  No melt downs!  (knock on wood)  He's been a little bit teary now and then, but no freak outs.  Fischer said that Nicholas started crying in the lunch room, missing me one day, and his parapro ran to get Fischer to comfort him.  Is that not the sweetest thing ever?  Fischer picked his little brother up, held him and reassured him everything was going to be OK.  I am glad Mollie and Fischer go to the same school!

One day, Nicholas came home from school with a pink lipstick stain on his head.  This made me so happy.  This meant that some teacher gave him a kiss.  My heart melted and I felt a sense of peace that people at his school are loving my sweet boy.  There have been several times a teacher has stopped me in the store or around town and asked me if I am Nicholas' mommy.  They tell me they just want to scoop him up and take him home with them.  Nicholas does have this affect on people.  He is so cute and sweet.  Who can resist him?

Nicholas loves school so far.  I am grateful for all his teachers.  I am grateful he has the opportunity to learn the best way he can in a special environment with understanding people. This is a great beginning to his educational future.  I see awesome things to come!

1 comment:

Kathleen O'Neal Bearden said...

It's important to remember, at least I think it's important to remember, that a family's persona is the sum of its individual members. You have a sweet family and each one of you is sweet and precious in your own way. Even though Nicholas doesn't operate in the same mode as everyone else, his contribution is no less integral in the scheme of things. I love your family! And I think Fischer deserves a "Big Brother of the Year" award! I remember lipstick stains... and how great they made me feel when I found them!